Don't Let the Holidays Weigh You Down
Sandra Koulourides M.S., R.D.
Avoiding holiday weight gain can be a challenge even for the most disciplined person. The 8 week stretch from Halloween to New Years is filled with more parties, social gatherings and tempting food than any other time of the year. We know it it coming. We know it is hard. So what can we do to keep from sabotaging all the hard work we have done throughout the year? First of all, accept the fact that exercise can not burn of excess holiday indulgences. If you want to maintain your weight (forget about losing) through the holidays, you have to THINK and make GOOD CHOICES. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Donít ever go to a party/dinner/social gathering hungry.
- Limit your calories from alcohol. They can add up and they are not filling. Stick with wine, light beer, or hard liquor mixed with something non-caloric.
- At parties, choose lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts.
- Avoid anything fried, crackers and cheese, chips and dip, pastry items, desserts, creamy drinks.
- When you choose to indulge, do so in moderation, and make sure it is worth it.
- Continue your clean eating throughout the day as much as possible.
- Donít slack up on your exercise. Get your cardio and muscle in every week. If you donít have time for muscle, try Horizontal Conditioning - Getting Started DVD (available at fuelplusfitness.com or Mt. Brook/Downtown YMCA). No equipment necessary 10-20 minute work out. It is perfect when you are in a time crunch.