2011...The End of Dieting
Sandra Koulourides M.S., R.D.
Tis that time of the year when most people begin their diets. They do well for several weeks, maybe months if they are lucky, and then the diet goes out the window. What ever weight was lost comes back twice as fast, frustration kicks in and we tell ourselves,again, that we just canít loose weight...it is too hard. Until next year, we will just put our weight loss goals on the back burner. Does this scenario sound familiar? If so, try something different this year - throw diets out the window. They donít work long-term. Stop looking for quick fixes. Fast doesnít last. Start changing your habits - that is what put the weight on you in the first place. It doesnít have to be that hard. Realize that diet is the biggest part of the weight equation...not exercise. Think how hard it is to burn 500-600 calories and then think how easy it is to eat the same amount of calories. Quit sabotaging your workouts with poor eating habits. Here are some tips to help you get off to a healthier year...a year without diets.
- Clean out your frig and pantry - keep your kitchen filled with clean, healthy foods. Get rid of processed food and junk. You donít need it and neither do your kids.
- Eat every 3-4 hours. Add a healthy carb/protein snack when necessary.
- Eat breakfast. Itís not negotiable.
- Eat good fats (nuts, nut butter, seeds, avocado, olives, flax etc.). Good fat will help you limit calories and lose weight.
- Limit liquid calories (i.e. alcohol, coffee, tea, soft drinks, sports drinks, etc.)
- Drink lots of water. It helps with metabolism and weight loss.
- Do not snack while cooking. (100 calories extra per day = 10 extra pounds at the end of a year)
- Try not to blow it on the weekends. Do your best.
- Moderation is the key. One or two bites is much different than a whole serving.
- Journal. Itís the number one weight loss tool.
- Make sure you incorporate muscle into your workout routine. Muscle mass helps you burn more calories all day long. When in a time crunch, try Horizontal Conditioning - Getting Started dvd. It will give you a total body workout in just 10-20 minutes.
- Stay positive. Your mind is the power house of your body. If you REALLY want to get healthy and lose weight, you can make it happen!